HISTORICAL SOCIETY (BRIEF HISTORY)
The Hinckley Historical Society was established as a non-profit organization in 1988. For over 30 years, it has grown into a well-know society. The Hinckley Historical House is located in the Hinckley Town Center. As the Hinckley community continues to grow, the society encourages the residents and citizens to reflect on our township’s community past. To help share our colorful heritage with your family and future generations, we hope you will visit and support the Hinckley Historical Society.
The “Hinckley Historical Society House” is located on the corner of Ridge Road (State Route 3) and Center Road (State Route 303) at the center of Hinckley, Ohio. This quaint historical house is owned by Hinckley Township which the Historical Society leases from. The office and research library are housed in the 1846 small white clapboard Greek revival home at 1634 Center Road. The research library contains Hinckley family records, township history, old map & tax books and many displays showing Hinckley’s past and what life was like in the early days in our community. Learn the history of the township and much more.
The Historical Society was first housed at the “Worden Heritage Homestead”, an 1862 farmhouse that was located at 895 Ledge Road in the Hinckley Metroparks. The home had the original hardwood floors, wavy glass windows and wood doors. The homestead was furnished with period items belonging to the Worden family. These included the original rope bed belonging to Hiram Worden ca. 1842, a Goodrich Treadle sewing machine and a melodeon (a reed organ). After Hiram passed away, the farm and buildings went to his daughter, Nettie, who lived in the home until her death in 1945. After she died, her third husband took ownership of the land and farm house.
It was Nettie’s third husband, Noble Stuart that made the greatest contribution to the property. He was a brick layer by trade and came to the Cleveland area to work. He eventually purchased land near the Worden Homestead where he met Nettie and married her after a short courtship. On the property beyond the field and sandstone ledges, it is now known as the Worden Ledges. This was an area that the family often used for picnics, recreation, and at times for quiet reflection. This is where Nobel Stuart started his carving’s shortly after he married Nettie. The carvings, about 10, are of things that interested Noble. Noble’s carvings include a schooner, the face of George Washington, a cross and bible, and the face of Ty Cobb. Noble completed his carvings around 1848 and lived to be 94 years old living until September, 1984.
After his death, the land was purchased by the Cleveland Metroparks and is part of the Hinckley Reservation, often know as the jewel of the Emerald Necklace.
The house no longer stands.
There is a room dedicated to the Worden Homestead with many of the items that were located in the home on the second floor of the Hinckley Historical Society Building.
Hinckley Historical Society Mission Statement
THIS ORGANIZATION IS FORMED FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROMOTING, MAINTAINING AND PRESERVING ALL SUCH ITEMS AND/OR ARTIFACTS WHICH RELATE TO AND ARE OF HISTORICAL INTEREST TO THE COMMUNITY OF HINCKLEY AND ADJACENT AREAS, COUNTY OF MEDINA, STATE OF OHIO.